The gruelling task of pushing our loaded bicycles up mountain pass after mountain pass left my cycle-virgin thighs trembling and sore. Despite the chilly autumn winds of the Mountain Kingdom, sweat dripped off my nose and chin and I feared my racing heart might beat right out of my chest. But I couldn’t stop, I was following adventurer Sean Fraenkel (Visit Sean’s Barking Mad website) and he set the pace. While I was an untrained amateur cyclist, Sean had already been cycling for over a month on the Spine of the Dragon, South Africa’s premier cross-country mountain biking route, as part of his Barking Mad campaign, an unsupported cycle across South Africa and Lesotho with his two dogs for charity. Sean had generously agreed to let me tag along for a leg in Lesotho, to learn some tricks of the cycling trade, assuming I could keep up.
A compound butter, that is a butter that you have mixed with flavoring components, is a great addition to any kitchen. There is no limit to the flavor and ingredients that you can use and are perfect on foods that don’t otherwise have a sauce, such as grilled meat, pasta or even hamburgers. Read more
As entries for the 2014 Lesotho Ultra Trail continue to pour in from around the world, including Spain, Belgium, Austria, England, North America and Australia, as well as continued local interest from aspirant skyrunners in Southern Africa, the International Skyrunning Federation (ISF) has announced that Africa’s first Ultra SkyMarathon® will be recognised as one of their official World Ranking ultra races for 2014. Being one of only thirty six top global events in this category, as well as one of only two events selected from the African continent, the Lesotho Ultra Trail heads into only its second year with already some big shoes to fill.
The Maloti-Drakensberg mountain range is home to the only remaining population of southern African Bearded Vultures. Due to ongoing threats causing high death tolls, the population has been depleted to a critical level of just 350 birds.
Bearded Vulture in flight Read more
The controversial wind farm proposed for Lesotho’s Maluti-Drakensberg has received the go-ahead from the Lesotho Government. Conservationists are concerned that this decision does not bode well for the future of vultures in the region or for the reputation of the fledging wind energy industry in southern Africa.
“Approval of the Letseng project is a source of great concern to BirdLife”, said Ken Mwathe, BirdLife International’s Africa Policy Programme Coordinator. “African governments must tread carefully on renewable energy projects by ensuring they do not threaten birds and biodiversity”.
Durban – Plans for a controversial 7km cable car route to the top of the Drakensberg have changed with a new proposal to extend it by another 5km to link it to the Afriski ski resort in Lesotho and indirectly to a failed golf estate near Bergville.
This follows a meeting last week between Mike Mabuyakhulu, the KwaZulu-Natal MEC for Economic Development and Tourism, and his counterparts from Lesotho and the Free State, where it was agreed that a new technical committee would be set up to discuss potential cable car partnership opportunities. Read more
- 8 Large Sheets of Filo Pastry (Thawed)
- 60g Clarified Butter
- 170g Good-quality Dark Chocolate minimum 60 per cent cocoa solids, rough chopped
- 7 Free Range Eggs
- ¼ tsp Fresh Quizzed Lemon Juice
- 40g Castor Sugar
- 2 Cups heavy cream
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50g Blue Berry Compote
- 1. Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water (do not allow the base of the bowl to touch the water).
- 2. Whisk the egg whites and lemon juice in a large, clean bowl until they form soft peaks. The lemon juice will stabilize the egg whites, make them easier to work with and help to prevent over-whisking.
- 3. Add the sugar and continue to whisk until firm peaks form when the whisk is removed. Do not whisk beyond this stage
- 4. When the chocolate has melted, remove the bowl from the heat. Whisk one-third of the egg whites into the hot chocolate quickly, until thick and well combined
- 5. Fold the remaining egg whites into the chocolate mixture, using a spatula, until all of the egg white has been completely incorporated into the chocolate.
- 6. Spoon the mousse mixture into Stainless Bowl. Chill in the fridge for 2-3 hours, or until set.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract together on high speed until soft peaks form in the mixture, fold in the Blue Berry Compote and let it set in the fridge
- Preheat oven to 180°. Butter every other cup in 6 or 12-cup muffin pan. Place 1 Filo rectangle on work surface; cover remaining Filo with plastic wrap and damp cloth to prevent drying. Brush rectangle with clarified Butter, Place second Filo rectangle on top of the first one, brush with Butter and sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon Sugar. Repeat 2 more times, top with 1 more rectangle and brush with butter, making stack of 5 rectangles. Press each stack into 1 buttered muffin cup. Repeat procedure 2 more times, making 4 more Filo cups (6 totals).
- Bake Filo cups until golden and crisp, about 10 minutes. Immediately lift Filo cups from pan, twisting carefully to loosen; place on rack. Cool completely.
- Fill Filo cups with Chocolate Mousse top with Blue Berry Chantilly Cream, Raspberries and put on Plate and serve.
- Bon appétit