- 225g Flour
- 250g Caster Sugar
- 225g Butter (at room temp)
- 1/2tsp Baking Powder
- 4 eggs (at room temp)
- 2tbs Cocoa Flour for the chocolate sponge layer
- Turn the oven to 180C
- Use an electric mixer to Cream the Butter and Sugar
- Add in the eggs
- Add in Flour and Baking powder
- Separate into two equal measures and add cocoa powder into one of the measures
- Bake for 25minutes in the oven or 7 minutes in microwave at 800watts
The Confectioners Custard
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 egg white
- 50g Caster Sugar
- 2tbs Plain Flour
- 2tbs Corn Flour
- 300ml Milk
- 50ml Raspberry Coulis (or really any flavour you desire)
Method (Creaming, Folding and Tempering)
- Cream your Egg Yolks and Sugar together
- Beat in flour, corn flour and a small portion of milk (You are looking to make a smooth paste)
- Scald the Remaining milk and Slowly Temper into the mixture attained steps one and two
- Stir this over a low heat until Boiling and remove
- Portion into two measures and add the Coulis into one
- Beat your Egg white until stiff peaks and fold into the mixtures (Remember the Mixtures must be under 18c to achieve this without curdling)
And the pieces come together..
At this point you need to slice your sponges into layers around two centimetres thick do this only when they have cooled down to room temperature or lower.
Layer your Sponges and Custards much as you would with a Lasagne.
Pop this into the Fridge or Freezer to Set the Layers together.