Alternate layers of rich, dark chocolate mousse and soft chocolate sponge; covered with white chocolate ganache and served with a cranberry coulis, red wine reduction and spun-sugar garnish.
Chef’s Tip: Rich notes of the dark chocolate combined with the understated white chocolate go very well with the cranberry coulis and red wine reduction. A great end to a romantic dinner for two.
- 3 Eggs (separated)
- 120g Cake Flour
- 175g Sugar
- 60ml Oil
- 125ml Hot Water
- 24g Cocoa Powder
- 5g Baking Powder
- 1g Salt
- 5ml Vanilla Extract
- Pre-heat oven to 205°C. Spray a swiss-roll tray with non-stick spray and line with parchment paper. Spray again and set aside.
- Mix cocoa powder and hot water together and allow to cool. Combine egg yolks, sugar, oil and vanilla extract together with the cooled cocoa mixture.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together. Add the cocoa mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Whip egg whites till stiff peaks forms and fold into the flour and cocoa mixture. Pour into the baking tray and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean when inserted into the cake.
- Let sit for 5 minutes, then remove from the tray. Carefully peel off the parchment paper and allow the cake to cool on a cooling rack.
- Cut out circles with a mould. Stack 3 circles together with chocolate mousse piped in-between each circle. Do not pipe the mousse on the top circle of the stack. Pour ganache over and garnish.
Dark Chocolate Mousse
- 250g Dark Chocolate
- 850ml Fresh Cream
- 5ml Vanilla Extract
- 50g Castor Sugar
- 5g Gelatine
- Hydrate the gelatine in 100ml of the cold cream and set aside. Melt the Chocolate and also set aside.
- Whip the remainder of the cream till stiff peaks form then add the sugar and vanilla extract and mix well. Place in a refrigerator to keep cool.
- Disperse the gelatine in the cream over hot water and add to the warm chocolate. Cool slightly then fold in the whipped cream. Pour into container and let set inside a refrigerator.
White Chocolate Ganache
- 180g White Chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 60ml Cream
- Heat cream inside a microwave oven (on high) till almost boiling. Add cream to the chocolate and stir until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is mixed through. Let cool slightly, then pour the ganache over the mousse cakes. Let cool in the fridge for about 10 minutes before pouring another layer over the mousse cakes. Repeat until the ganache covers the cakes thickly enough that one cannot see through it.
Red Wine Reduction
400ml Dry Red Wine
- Pour wine into a saucepan and let simmer over a low heat until the wine reduces by about two thirds. Let cool.
- Use as a garnish on plates or as a sauce accompanying desserts or savoury dishes.