Spring to me means one thing. The approach of summer, which constitutes all the reasons one can think of to buy fresh items such as Strawberries and Cream, drink Sparkling Wine by the bottles and spurge on foods such as fresh Salmon, juicy Pears, Gorgonzola and wild Rocket. Have an affair with your taste buds this season, have a spring fling.
THE RECIPE: Salmon and Gorgonzola Salad.
- 1 Punnet Wild Rocket
- 1 Packet Watercress
- 1 rich Gorgonzola Cheese
- 2 ripe Pears
- Maldon Salt or Coarse Sea Salt
- Crushed Black Pepper
- 500ml Balsamic Reduction
- 250g Soft Brown Sugar
- Good quality Olive Oil
- 1 fillet Norwegian Salmon, cleaned.
- Place all of your herbs in a bowl and rinse thoroughly. Sprinkle with Maldon Salt and cracked Black Pepper.
- Peel the Pears with a potato peeler, remove the core, seeds and quarter.
- Slice the Salmon into 2 cm thick slivers.
- In a small pot, place the Balsamic Vinegar and Brown Sugar together and bring to the boil, boil until the mixture starts to bubble, remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- In a serving dish, place the Rocket mixture at the bottom, layer the salmon over the Rocket, place the Pear quarters on top, crumble over some Gorgonzola, drizzle with Olive oil and using a dessert spoon, pour over some Balsamic reduction.
- Finish it off with some Salt and Pepper and enjoy.
- You can buy Balsamic Reduction if you don’t feel up to making your own.
- Lemon flavoured Olive Oil works nicely with this recipe as well.
- You can sear your Salmon lightly in a pan if you prefer to have your fish a little more cooked.
- You can replace the Rocket and Watercress with bitter leaves such as Romaine Hearts.
- You can replace the Gorgonzola Cheese with Pecorino or Parmesan Cheese.
- You can add a handful of Pine nuts to spruce it up a bit.
- Sparkling Wine – dry
- Olive Ciabatta grilled lightly
- Rosé Wine chilled to perfection.
Hope you have fun with this recipe and remember to unleash the inner gourmand every time you try something new!