This is a Rich and Delicious twist to the traditional Glass of Red Wine; it’s got a hint of Citrus, a flare of Spice and the right amount of Alcohol to make everything seem nice! Enjoy!
- 1 small Glass good quality Red Wine
- 1 tot good quality Brandy
- 1 teaspoon Castor Sugar
- 1 small Orange
- 1 small Lemon
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 2 Whole Cloves
- Using a small Sauce Pan, pour the tot of Brandy into Pot and wait until it’s a little warm before lighting the liquid on fire. The reason for this is to burn of some of the Alcohol.
- Once the flames die out, pour the wine into the pot and simmer.
- Add the Cloves, Cinnamon and Castor Sugar. Allow the sugar to dissolve.
- Taking a sharp knife, cut a thick slice of Lemon and a thick slice of Orange and place in the pot as well.
- Allow all ingredients to simmer and infuse.
- After roughly 15 Minutes of simmering, remove the pot from the heat and allow the ingredients to steep for 5 Minutes.
- Strain the Mulled Wine mixture through a sieve and serve in the desired glasses.
- Garnish with a slice of Orange.
- This recipe is quick and easy to make, it’s also reheatable, so if you plan on making enough to last you a lifetime, you can place the Mulled Wine in the fridge and warm it up again the next day.
- Use a good quality Red Wine such as a Shiraz or Red Blend, the more flavors your Wine has, the better your Glühwein.
- For a sweeter Mulled Wine, replace the Brandy with Port.
- For a different twist, add a Vanilla Pod to the Pot.
- Serve your Glühwein with some Dark Chocolates to tantalize your guest’s taste buds.
- For those a little more adventurous, you can poach fruit such as Pears and Apples in your left over Glühwein and serve it as a dessert the next day.